registered address
registered address

Once you are resident in Italy, you should inform the original authorities each time you move.

Under Italian law, anyone who plans to stay permanently should register as an occupant within three months of moving in. That involves informing the local authorities i.e. your comune of your sanctioned address in Italy, and if you move, you’ll need to let them know.

Thankfully, changing your residential address within Italy isn’t too complicated and in many instances you can actually do it online when applicable.

Why do you have to register a change of address?

Where you’re registered as a resident determines where you can get some important services in Italy. Specially, if you subscribe for the public healthcare services. You’ll be assigned to the original health authority nearest your address and registered with a GP or medico base in the same quarter where you live.

You’ll also have to deal with whichever civil registry office, duty office, department of motor vehicles and so on and so forth, that is closest to your registered address. So registering your new address makes the biggest difference if you’re moving from one region to another, but indeed if you’re moving within the same region, it can still save you a trip across the city.

You might not be allowed to situate your auto for free or drive in certain areas unless you’re a registered occupant of your city. And there are also duty counteraccusations depending on what kind of property you’re registered as living in, and with whom. Not to mention that, especially if you’re a foreign national in Italy dealing with immigration procedures, you’ll want to be sure that all your paperwork is in order and sanctioned correspondence goes to the correct address.

How do you change your address in Italy?

First, the good news is, if you’ve formerly been through the process of transferring your occupancy to Italy from overseas, it gets a lot easier from then on out. You won’t have to prove you have the means to support yourself or access healthcare each over again.

Rather, you just need to show that you do live at your new address. That involves registering with the anagrafe (civil registry office) of the comune nearest to you in the city you’re moving to.

What documents do you need?

You’ll have to fill in a protestation of occupancy (‘dichiarazione di residenza‘), which you should be suitable to find on your comune ‘s website.

It may be the same form as the one you filled in the first time you registered your occupancy in Italy, but this time you’ll tick the option transfer of occupancy from a different region or change of address within the same city.

For evidence of address, you’ll need one of the following

  • Deeds in your name showing you enjoy the property.
  • Residency agreement showing you’re renting the property.
  • Written concurrence from the proprietor stating that you have their authorization to live there, inked and accompanied by a duplicate of their ID

On top of that, you’ll need these documents to prove your identity

  • For EU citizens, passport or Italian ID card.
  • For non-EU citizens, passport and residence permit.
  • Identity Card.

Still, you should also show your motorist’s license and vehicle enrolment documents – but only if they were issued in Italy, If you enjoy a vehicle.

Still, you can switch everyone’s address at the same time, If you’re moving with family members. Complete one operation at the same time, making sure to list each member and include photocopies of their ID and residence permit. If you’re moving in with someone differently formerly registered at your new address, they’ll need to give written concurrence. You should also make a duplicate of their ID.

Where I can make the request?

You can submit your form and all your supporting documents to the registry office in your new comune. Numerous municipal authorities allow you to do so via dispatch, with your documents as scrutinized attachments. Check your cumune’s website for the right dispatch address (look for one specifically for occupancy requests, if possible).

Some cumune indeed have web doors, allowing you to complete the whole process online.
You may be required to have a digital ID (SPID) or electronic ID card (CIE) to register. Alternately, it may be suitable to submit your request by fax or registered post.

What happens next?

Your change of listed address is supposed to take effect within two working days of your anagrafe (civil registry) entering the request. After this point, you should be suitable to request for a document showing that you have requested a change of address.

But the change isn’t officially verified until your documents have been vindicated, and the local police have come to your new address to check if you’re living there (so make sure you put your name on the doorbell and/ or mailbox).

They’re supposed to do so within 45 days of your request. However, you can assume that your enrolment has been accepted, If you haven’t heard anything after that. These timelines are subject to detainments still, especially at the moment. External services may have reduced hours and considerable backlogs after the closures of the last 12 months, so anticipate regulatory procedures to take indeed longer than usual.

I would like to hear from you: What are your thoughts on this subject. You can share your thoughts and experiences with me and others in the comments section below!

It is hard to continue writing post like this without contributions from readers like you. If you enjoyed reading this and find it useful, please would you consider to make a donation of $2 or more, which is the price of your coffee! Your donation will help encourage and support us to continue on our work to support migrants with free educative post and trainings who can not afford subscriptions to get much needed information. Anyone can support us even YOU. Kindly support us today, it takes a few seconds, just click HERE to donate. Thank you!

SIGN UP to the MigrantDigest newsletter & receive updates & tips on news, jobs, finance, entertainment and free trainings.

PLUS, you’ll get instant free E-Book on staying in Italy legally, delivered to your email! This E-Book is guaranteed to help you to be informed of the existing rules to live a better life and to co-exist better with Italians. It only takes a few seconds!

Like this post? Don’t forget to share it! 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here